2. What are you now you've grown up?
I joined Beecham, now Glaxo SmithKline after university and spent 15 years of 20 abroad in Dubai, Manila and Bangkok where I was Regional Head for Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. After a 5 year spell on the board of Schering Health Care UK I moved abroad again to Berlin as Head of Global Marketing for Bayer AG. I am now back in Sussex working in Healthcare.
3. What is your best memory of school?
Must be playing for the First XI for 4 years and First XV for 2.
4. What was the best piece of advice you were given?
Be ruthless in decision and compassionate in execution.
5. What do you do/did you do as a career?
See 2 above. In addition to Pharmaceuticals I was the chief executive at Nuffield Brighton for almost 3 years.
6. What does/did your job involve?
My last "big" job was as Head of Global Marketing at Bayer AG. This involved supporting the country and regional commercial teams in launching new brands and growing existing ones. Significant time working externally with governments and other stakeholders. Leading a global brand team in Berlin of 40+ and a budget of £70M.
7. What are the most challenging parts of your job?
Understanding the different cultures within markets and adapting leadership style to get the most out of some very talented teams and individuals; building relationships with external stakeholders around the region which could then be leveraged to the benefit of the business; completing, presenting and then developing significant budgets!
8. What have you done that you are most proud of?
Merged SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals (where I was Managing Director), SmithKline Beecham Consumer Brands and Sterling Pharmaceuticals with the "MD's" of both companies and then being appointed to be MD of the merged company. Out manouvering BP in Manila to secure a visit by Margaret Thatcher to our Philippines HO.
9. What is the single thing that would most improve the quality of your life?
Work life balance is one of the toughest challenges.
10. What are the three objects you would take with you to a desert island?
My Canon 5D mark III, a case of Barolo, Henry Bloefelts's book "squeezing the orange".
11. How would you like to be remembered?
As someone to whom the people around me, personally and professionally, really mattered.